Sunday 29 July 2012

Welcome to my tiny garden

I decided to write this blog to record the changes in my garden through the seasons and to track the progress of little projects I'm working on. 


I live in a ground floor apartment in Melbourne, Victoria and am incredibly lucky to have access to a private courtyard garden. Growing up on a suburban quarter acre block, I was always surrounded by plant-life and spent my childhood climbing trees, playing in our 'jungle', or reading on the grass in the sunshine. As an adult, I've moved between share houses, usually without the luxury of a garden. Where I've been able to, I've grown vegetables or flowers in pots, but have found this quite limiting. 


My current home has a small 8m x 2m courtyard. It is half paved and half grass, with a raised bed running along the side. When I moved in the bed was already filled with flowers and herbs, so I have been gradually updating as I go along. I'm trying to grow mostly vegetables and herbs, but I still like to scatter flowers throughout the garden to keep it looking pretty. I've also got a sad lemon tree who I am hoping to bring back to life and finally bear fruit. 


I try to grow organically as much as possible, especially with edible plants. I'm also learning as I go, so if you have any tips or ideas please feel free to comment and let me know. 


Thanks for reading. 







No comments:

Post a Comment